Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Memories

The Christmas season has already been a memorable one and we haven't even made it to the big day yet. First of all we have had a few interesting encounters with Santa. Back in November, I scheduled a time at Sears to have Kaleb's picture taken with Santa. I was not sure how it would go because last year, it did not go well. Anyway, we walked in and Santa was out in front waiting. I was signing in and Kaleb starting talking with him and playing a game. I thought "This is going to be a piece of cake." Then the lady said, "OK, let's go take your picture with Santa." You would have thought the world ended because my son started throwing the biggest fit and actually tried to hide in the corner. Needless to say, we left without a picture. So moving forward to last week, we went to Kurt's work Christmas party. Every year, Kurt's boss dresses up as Santa and gives each kid a gift. Kaleb was very excited to get a gift from Santa. The time came and all the kids were sitting up front waiting for their name to be called. Kaleb sat with me on the floor and starting watching the kids go up and sit on Santa's lap to get their presents. He looked at me and said,"I'm not going to sit on his lap Mom." I explained to him that Santa was nice and that he had a gift for him. He sat very quietly and watched all the kids. His present was close to the bottom of the pile, so he had to wait for quite some time. When they called his name, he got up and headed for the stage without any hesitation. I thought for a moment that he had changed his mind. He got up there and told Santa very matter of factly, "Let me tell you, I'm not going to sit on your lap." He talked with Santa for a few minutes, Santa asked him about his new sister coming, they shook hands and Kaleb walked off the stage with his present. I love this picture of him. You can almost see him telling Santa how it is.


We worked on building a gingerbread house the other night. Didn't I do a good job putting it together? (OK- so maybe it was a pre-made kit) Kaleb had a great time putting the candies on the house but a better time eating them!



Another reason that I will always remember Christmas '08 is that I broke my foot on Friday night. That's right- 6 months pregnant and hobbling around on crutches. The Lord works in mysterious ways. We have been problems with Kaleb not wanting anyone but me to help him do things and we were worried about what would happen when the baby comes. Well, now mom can't do everything so he is quickly learning to change that habit. I am also having to learn to let others help me, which is something I have needed to work on. Funny how the Lord chooses to teach us lessons sometimes.

Well, I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!!

1 comment:

megan k said...

YOU BROKE YOUR FOOT?!! I think you need to blog on how that happened... Curb? Dog under your feet? Child under your feet? Snow? Walking normally and bam?

That pic. of Kaleb is really funny. Him holding his hand out like he's explaining everything to him.. cute