Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Saturday Night Entertainment in Small Town USA

On Saturday night, Kurt, Kaleb & I watched a bull riding event in the very small town that I grew up in. A couple from the town have built an arena right on their property. He used to be a professional bull rider & now their son is following in Dad's footsteps. We had no idea what to expect, but David had invited us to come out several times so we decided to see what it was all about. Apparently, it is a big deal because most of the town showed up to watch! I had to chuckle a little when we showed up and parked in David's pasture with his cattle :) They have beautiful land out there & it was such a nice night. Anyway, we had seats right by the gate that the cowboys left the arena through, so we saw lots of excitement. Several bruises & a few obvious broken bones. Throughout the night in between the bull riding, they had games set up for people to participate in. The one that really caught my attention was called Mexican Sweat (a.k.a. Bull Poker.) The game basically goes like this. The first four guys that sign a waiver saying that they won't sue the pants off of David if they get hurt get to be the contestants. (It ended up being four of the bull riders.) They set up a card table in the middle of the arena and the four guys sit in plastic chairs around the table. Then it gets interesting- they open a gate and release a Mexican fighting bull into the area. The last guy sitting in his chair is the winner. These guys are completely crazy! I figured that the bull would come out and walk around the arena for a minute before he noticed the guys. No- that bull charged right at the table! It was over in like 2 seconds. I got a picture of the craziness. It is a little blurry, but the best I could do:

Notice the set of legs- you can't even see that guy's body!


The guy in the green & white was the winner- He just got lucky. He was sitting on the left side of the table & the bull veered to the right a little.

The aftermath-
Oh, and the prize? $100- yep those guys are crazy. (and apparently broke too!)
I guess we are a little crazy since that was our Saturday night entertainment- but it was a lot of fun!

No comments: